Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Ferris Bueller is a PUNK




There are certain movies that audiences will reflect on years after they are released and say that they “defined their generations.” A few examples that come to mind are Stand By Me, Superbad, Daddy Day Care, etc.

In the 80’s, John Hughes films ruled the world, and on June 11th 1986, his latest creation- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off debuted in theaters. While “The Breakfast Club” is more the “defining a generation” movie, for the sake of the article I will say Ferris has been said to be in that rhelm too,.

Ferris Bueller is that film you watch in high school and think “OH MAN! This could be me and my friends. This is the coolest!” And then you grow up, only to have your friends become teachers,  and think that the kids in this movie are really rude to the people trying to help them! Also, you get a little peeved that your tax dollars are going towards the government getting someone to write “Get Well, Ferris” on a water tower.

Though the movie is still fine with me, something was brought to my attention that should go on Ferris’ Permanent Record (GET IT! LIKE SCHOOL! 9 TIMES!)


Yes, yesterday was the anniversary of the day the movie came out. In my dumb brain, I thought it would be funny to see what other movies came out that day and wish them a happy birthday. When I googled this piece of information, I realized no other movie came out that day.

“Odd,” I said to myself in my lonely cubicle.

I then googled “June 11th- 1986 and GUESS WHAT. That’s a fucking Wednesday! If your movie comes out on a Wednesday, you should not be allowed to be a classic. You get a leg up on everyone because you were early! Ferris is defined as this rebel without a cause (another movie that defined a generation), but he is actually that nerd that sits in the front of the class to get more attention.

Wednesday is easily a top 3 worst day of the week. Coming out on a Wednesday just means you are taking advantage of everyone’s misery. You are taking money from people trying to find some sort of light in their week.

While we praise this movie, “Back To School” also debuted that week, made more money at the box office and played the game the right way.

Maybe this does define the generation. Skipping out on a hard days work and then stealing people’s money! This movie is technically a millennial and as a millennial I AM FURIOUS that I am now grouped with this movie. Sure, I may have killed fast food restaurants and cable TV, but being in the same class with this movie is truly the worst thing to be associated with.

RIP John Hughes.



No comments:

Post a Comment