Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Heisman Hunt: The Commitment

Not many people would believe it by looking at me and learning about my eating/drinking habits, but after high school colleges didn't exactly come calling for me to sign scholarships.

True shame.

So, 8 years after hanging up the volleyball shoes (I don't think there is a cool way of saying that) and 12 years after calling it quits on my football career, I had awaking. In the best shape of my life (I ran a half marathon, please don't ask me about it), I decided to take the steps at becoming a college football player.

I know what you're saying:"Kyle, it's just not possible." Wrong. There are steps every man and woman can take to make this dream become reality.

1. Run a half marathon- it builds confidence;

2. Tell your mom you are about to become famous- famous people call their shots;

3. Pull out your PlayStation 2, Find NCAA 06 and let the thrill begin.

Now, I don't want this to look easy. I had to go to a GameStop by my home in Chicago and ask if they had any memory cards for PlayStation2. Classic nerds told me to get out of their lair and give up my hopes.

I didn't though. I just went online and bought the memory card COMPLETELY LEGALLY! Then, I bought a new controller because everyone knows the key to success is buying new things COMPLETELY LEGALLY from china. Big ups to two fellow mid-20s people from across the globe that have most likely updated their gaming stations and sold their controller/ memory card for dirt cheap to any sucker who would buy them.

Adversity in my review mirror, I then informed my girlfriend that I was re-enrolling school and making a big lifestyle change. But, before she could wish me good luck, I also informed her I would be doing it on a full ride scholarship for football and walked out of our kitchen.

That walk- from the kitchen to the bedroom where my PS2 awaited- was one of the longest of my life. Plenty of time to reflect on some of my past mistakes on the grid iron and just why I lost the love of the game (it was mainly a lack of talent.) I vowed to stay in this state of mind for the next three/four years.

But there I sat, on the foot of my bed looking unto the field of a unnamed high school, listening to an older coach - who I can only imagine strictly goes by coach-  was informing me that all the big time college coaches were there and this was my final shot.

Not new to me though (SEE ABOVE ABOUT ADVIRSITY)



Jump to 1:10 in the video to see coach give his inspiring speech. Weird that a fellow kid at my tryout posted everything on youtube, but hey it's a new day and age.


Shoulder pads locked in place and helmet snapped on, I made the decision to become the pocket passer my family had always dreamed of seeing. Side note: kicker was not an option for me, but not by choice. If it available, I would have done that.

Ten throws to complete strangers determined which schools would take a chance on a 26 year old with a minor drinking problem. And, well, I was rusty. Not the showing I wanted, but this is real life, you can't just hit the restart button (I really should have done this). Some teams were still impressed with my inspirational story though, and offered me full rides:

1. NC State

2. Cal

3. Arizona State

All fine schools. All willing to pay for my education in the hopes i can return their schools to glory. My heart wasn't fully into them though. I couldn't just go somewhere against my will.

After plenty of thought, I decided to stay close to my family and attend THE Univeristy of Illinois at Urbana Champaign and try to accomplish the impossible: win a National Championship.





No comments:

Post a Comment