Thursday, March 1, 2018

Big News: I'm a Cool Guy


I don't like throwing around the fact I have money. It's embarrassing and people often think differently of you when they realize that you have built up a savings account to a respectable level. I look at myself as en everyday man, and everyday men don't always go into their Chase Bank account multiple times a month to transfer money for fun things. 

                                                (Me after putting some money into my savings account)


If you know me, which I am sure you do because why else would you be reading this blog, you know the basics: I'm a podcaster, I'm a Bears Season Ticket Holder, I'm an NCAA Athlete, and I'm a HUGE Mascot Guy. A thing I don't often talk about though is that I am also a full-time car owner. That's right; cha boy has the title and everything. 

How so? Well, late last year, I took my annual Christmas bonus and put it towards my car payment that I had going for the last three years. My christmas gift to myself was finally saying that I owned a 2009 honda Civic- the gift that keeps on giving.

                                      (I got this year's model because, much like me, it topped out in 2009)


Yes, the car used a lot in the original Fast and Furious was now mine. I could cruise to Niles, Illinois, blasting my NPR Podcasts, knowing in the back of my mind this was my car. 

My car, though, drives me crazy. See what I did there? 

So a few years ago I popped a tire on the way to work. It was in the midst of me working about 4 part time jobs, and was just 24 hours after I had just won two Fantasy Football Championships. Just a subtle brag that I am a winner and had at that time received a good chunk of change into my bank account. That money would soon be used for a new starter, however, because after my tire was replaced, my car refused to start. 

Fast forward to the next year, where my car acted like a diva again and had some trouble running. Women, am I right? This time it was the battery, but everything was gucci once replaced. Basically, my car wanted a new outfit and I got it for her. She deserved it. 

This is when my baby truly decided to start acting her age- I have owned it for nearly 3 years so this is its terrible-twos phase.

In September, I had to give out cubs tickets because it refused to start. After that was fixed, in October because it again sounded awful when I was driving it and got more parts replaced. Then on Valentines day I had to cancel plans because it had to be towed out to where my car had been fixed before to get a new battery (by the way, this was after i had been told a week earlier by the same people that my car was fine). Then, just a few weeks before her third birthday, it died on my way home. That was last night. 

So basically, in the past 6 months has had to go in 6 times to get checked. I'm not a father, but I am pretty sure babies don't even go to the doctor that much. 

You are probably thinking "Kyle, is this another ' Why I hate Myself' blog?" No. Those are reserved for when i truly hate myself, not my bitch ass car. 

Instead, this is more of a reason to explain to you that sometimes the rich get richer. My latest car malfuntion allowed me to sign up for the getaround app- where you rent a car for super cheap. With my pick of the liter, I went for affordable, as well as enviromentally friendly car. 

That's right. I am now driving a prius with a California liscen plate. Eat your heart out. (Side note: no idea what that means.)

                                                                            (Hi Haters)

Sorry ladies, I am taken. 

Today, in the pouring rain, I drove to work almost feeling like I was cheating on my car. Sipping coffee and listening to the latest updates from cubs camp felt a little different. It felt so wrong, but yet so right. Plus, i was driving in a different area code, so it's technically not cheating. 

This morning, though,  I reflected on my car, how it has caused me to scream and punch the steering wheel, and ask God why he has done this to me. But everything happens for a reason. 

Now my baby is taking a day to rest and I am driving in luxary.

Follow your dreams, kids. 



No comments:

Post a Comment